Wednesday 1 April 2015

Book Review - The Magnificent Lizzie Brown and the Mysterious Phantom

Title: The Magnificent Lizzie Brown and the Mysterious Phantom
Author: Vicki Lockwood
Series: Magnificent Lizzie Brown (Book 1)
Publisher: Curious Fox 
Release Date: 7 May 2015
ISBN-13: 978-1782022527

Synopsis
In nineteenth-century London Lizzie Brown wants nothing more than to escape from the slums and her drunk, abusive father, so finding work and friends in a passing circus seems like a dream come true--but when she starts to have visions she finds herself confronting the mysterious phantom of London. 



My Review
At our Book Day at work, we had a visit from a lady called Helen who worked for Curious Fox publishing. She talked to us about all sorts of things from how the company works, getting published, the process books go through - all that sort of thing, but she also introduced us to some of the books they have out or coming out. Lizzie Brown was one of those and I could tell she was really excited about it, and the more I heard, the more I wanted to read it. Lucky for me she had a proof copy and I was very grateful to receive it.
Something about this book called out to me, because although I have coursework I should have been doing, and a stack of other books I should be reading I just had to pick this one up. And once I'd picked it up I read it in one sitting. Just a couple of hours later I was done and absolutely involved in Lizzie's world. 
Lizzie lives in London in the 19th C, her dad tends to get drunk and she wants to make a life of her own, the chance comes and suddenly Lizzie is out on her own. Luckily for her she bumps into a travelling circus and makes friends with the crew. Taken in by them and adopted as one of the troupe Lizzie thinks her life is finally turning round. But then she hears about the mysterious 'phantom' - someone or something who is robbing houses and causing a stir, then Lizzie has a vision about him and suddenly Lizzie is more involved than she wanted to be. Now she has to stop the Phantom before he commits his next crime. 
This book was fun and mysterious, it keeps you guessing as to who the Phantom could really be, I suspected at least three different characters before coming to the right conclusion. Lizzie herself is charming and determined, I love her energy and her outlook on life. She is a charming character that really captures your imagination and mixed with her friends the story really comes to life. 
This book would be great for kids looking for a fun new adventure, I am going to try and get copies from the library when it's out to give the book group that I run a chance to read it. And I also think adults would enjoy the charm and atmosphere of the book. Really just a great read overall.

My Rating
    

No comments: