Friday 13 February 2015

Book Review - Angel (Audio Book)

Title: Angel
Author: L.A Weatherly
Series: Angel (Book 1)
Publisher: Usborne Publishing Ltd
Release Date: 1 Oct. 2010
ISBN-13: 978-1409521969
ASIN: B004A93MSE (Audio Book)

Synopsis
Angels are all around us: beautiful, awe-inspiring, irresistible.

Ordinary mortals yearn to catch a glimpse of one of these stunning beings and thousands flock to The Church of Angels to feel their healing touch.
But what if their potent magnetism isn't what it seems?
Willow knows she's different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars.
Willow has a gift. She can look into people's futures, know their dreams, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. But she has no idea where she gets this power from.

Until she meets Alex…
Alex is one of the few who know the truth about angels. He knows Willow's secret and is on a mission to stop her.
The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous – and irresistible.
In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.


My Review
I got bought this book as a present a few years ago and just never got round to reading it, I've looked at it many times but never made the commitment to pick it up, so when I saw the audio cd version on the catalogue at work in the library I ordered it. I needed something to listen to in my car and thought this would be a good chance.
I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, other books I've read with Angels in have always disappointed me in various ways, but I was soon becoming hooked with this one. Right away I was intrigued and wanted to know more. Some parts are a little bit predicatable but actually overall I found this book very enjoyable. 
I loved the twist that Angels are actually the dark beings, they are usually presented as the heroes, the good guys, the heavenly beings but here they are dark life drainers out to take over humanity. 
Willow is a sassy teenager who is way over her head, until recently she didn't even know Angels existed. She was a high school girl who loved to fix cars and was psychic- so maybe not that normal but nothing too out of the ordinary. Then suddenly she is thrown into this whole other life and I have to admit she deals with it admirably. Don't get me wrong, she breaks down and has her moments, after all she is human (mostly) and it makes her seem more realistic. 
Then we have Alex, a trained Angel Killer, it's been his mission for most of his life to hunt down the Angels and get rid of them, and then he comes across Willow and she is nothing like anything he has met before. He knows he shouldn't like her but something draws him in and soon the two of them become a team.
Alex is a great character, he's cool, calm and witty with a cheeky, sarcastic sense of humour that you can't help but love. He really grows as a character throughout too and I loved to see how he developed.
The story is quite fast paced and keeps you anticipating what is happening next, so even when the pacing slows a bit you're still hooked. I couldn't wait to listen to how the story panned out, but at the same time I didn't want it to end. I found myself looking forward to going out just so I could get in my car and listen to a bit more.
I definitely want the next part to see what becomes of them, but unfortunately we don't have it on audio book in the library so I need to get the physical copy and with my coursework and book day at work with a reading list I don't know when I can squeeze it in, but I may have to make an exception and be a rebel and read it!

My Rating
   

No comments: