Thursday 22 January 2015

Book Review - Where She Went

Title: Where She Went
Author: Gayle Forman
Series: If I Stay (Book 2)
Publisher: Definitions (Young Adult)
Release Date: 26 April 2012
ISBN-13: 978-1849414289

Synopsis
If you had a second chance at first love . . . would you take it?

It's been three years since Mia walked out of Adam’s life. And three years he’s spent wondering why. When their paths cross again in New York, Adam and Mia are brought back together for one life-changing night.



My Review
When I finished listening to 'If I Stay' I was desperate to find out what happened next, I had this book ready and couldn't wait to open it. Life got in the way a bit and it was about 3 days before I was able to pick this one up, but thoughts of the characters and that world stayed with me, they were in my thoughts, I even had a dream about it which was weird. So I knew I had to get back to it as soon as I could.
My initial reaction when picking up the book was disappointment - it's set 3 years after the end of Stay. That is a massive leap and I was hoping it would carry on right where the other left off. But I loved the story and Forman's writing so I decided to persevere, hoping that those 3 years would be filled in at some point to let us know how we got here.
My next shock was that this one was told from Adam's perspective not Mia's which seemed a bit alien at first but I soon found myself enjoying his voice, fitting into his world, walking beside him as he went through each day.
The book is divided between current events of Adam's life and things that have happened over the past few years.
I don't want to give too much away as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it, but I was shocked by some of the turn of events. Not Adam's job - I always knew he would make it, but the sheer loneliness of his life was shocking, and it was almost like his waves of misery would flow off the page from him. I wanted to reach in and reassure him that it would all be ok.
The more I read, the more the gaps were filled in and I felt myself settling back into the story, and realising why it was written that way - and I have to admit it was the perfect way to do it. Everything suddenly just felt right, made sense and worked out - I understood what had happened and how they had got here and the bonus is you get a bigger look at their future. 
I actually found myself disliking Mia a little bit - some of her choices were just mean and to be honest - selfish. But after all she went through you can kind of understand that, but I still don't think it's a real excuse. 
Adam weaves his world around you until you are absorbed and I didn't want the book to end, but at the same time I was desperate to find out how it finished. 
This is honestly one of the best series I have ever read, it's story swept me up and churned me through a whirlwind of emotions. It has stayed with me and the characters feel like old school friends. 
So although not what I expected at first, I would highly recommend these books to other people, only slight warning to younger readers - some content may not be suitable but nothing too bad or shocking. 

My Rating
  

3 comments:

Shane @ItchingforBooks said...

Good review. I haven't started the books yet because I've read similar reviews where people thought Mia was a bit selfish or they found some other issues with her character. However, I like your review and it makes me want to read the story and experience those emotions as well :)

barmybex said...

Thank you! Hope you decide to give it a go and that you enjoy it. :)

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I didn't like this one :(
I thought If I stay would have been a perfect stand alone, Adam's pov was pretty boring..

ps. I have a blog as well, both in Italian and in English. I'd love if you wanted to check that out! :D -> http://frannieinthepages.blogspot.com/