Friday 12 December 2014

Book Review - Eternal

Title: Eternal
Author: C C Hunter
Series: Shadow Falls After Dark (Book 2)
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: 28 Oct 2014
ISBN13: 9781250044617

Synopsis
All her life, Della's secret powers have made her feel separated from her human family. Now, she's where she belongs, at Shadow Falls. With the help of her best friends Kylie and Miranda, she’ll try to prove herself in the paranormal world as an investigator—all the while trying to figure out her own heart. Should she chose Chase, a powerful vampire with whom she shares a special bond? Or Steve, the hot shapeshifter whose kisses make her weak in the knees? When a person with dark connection to her past shows up, it’ll help her decide which guy to choose–and make her question everything she knows about herself.  

My Review
As soon as I know there is a new book by CC out I go totally crazy, I couldn't wait for this one and discovering more about Della. The day this book arrived I was literally jumping up and down. There had been a few issues getting a copy and I actually wasn't expecting a paperback copy so when it appeared I was ecstatic! Thank you CC and team - you literally made my day.
I of course wanted to dive in straight away but I was already part way through a book and then I had a university assignment due in, but this was my motivation to get through. This was my reward for doing the hard work. And it was the best reward ever!
I started to read this in my lunchbreak at work and managed to read 60 pages in just 45 minutes, I was immediately immersed into the world again and it felt like I was being welcomed back by old friends, like I belonged in that world. When I got home from work I told myself that I would read for an hour and then catch up with emails and blogs and other bits and bobs (as I am not home much at the moment because of work, uni etc I have to do things when I can) But that soon went out the window - 3 hours later I had sat and read the entire book! I hadn't moved an inch in that whole time, I was in that world 100 percent and when I finished it was like waking up and finding myself back in reality. And I missed it, straight away, I didn't want to leave. I want more!!
Della is really evolving as a character, she is still her tough, sassy, sarcastic self but she is also letting her guard down a little bit and showing a more sensitive side and I feel honoured that I get to see that side of her. But don't be fooled, she could still kick you to the curb if necessary. I absolutely love her witty comments and the way she says exactly what's she's thinking with just a few words and a look. 
It's also great to see the other characters we love like Kylie, Miranda, Holiday and Burnett. And to know more about new boy Chase, he is really intriguing and hope his story will carrying on developing too.
There is a love triangle in the book, Della has to choose between Chase and Steve, but it's done really well and doesn't feel irksome at all. However I did find myself changing sides constantly throughout, I still couldn't tell you who I wanted her to end up with. 

There are so many things I want to still know, and for every question that is answered, you get given another mystery to solve, it keeps you totally hooked and begging for more, and I just have to know what happens to everyone. I need to know what Della is going to do about that situation- I mean Oh my goodness!!!
 
If you haven't read these books then you need to go and get them all, shut yourself in a room and not come out until you have finished. Start with the original Shadow Falls series, then move onto these After Dark books. You will not regret it for a second. 
In fact, if you are stuck for a Christmas gift - these are perfect! 
Now I am desperately counting down to the release of the next book.

My Rating

No comments: