Friday 24 October 2014

Book Review - City of Ember

Title: City of Ember
Author: Jeanne DuPrau
Series: Book of Ember (book 1)
Publisher: Corgi Childrens
Release Date: 6 Jan 2005
ISBN-13: 978-0552552387

Synopsis
Many hundreds of years ago, the city of Ember was created by the Builders to contain everything needed for human survival. It worked - but now the storerooms are almost out of food, crops are blighted, corruption is spreading through the city and worst of all - the lights are failing. Soon Ember could be engulfed by darkness-But when two children, Lina and Doon, discover fragments of an ancient parchment, they begin to wonder if there could be a way out of Ember. Can they decipher the words from long ago and find a new future for everyone? Will the people of Ember listen to them?

My Review
I have had this book on my shelf for absolutely ages, I found it in my local discount bookshop and thought it was worth a try. I knew there was a movie too and it sounded good so I picked it up. I actually ended up watching the film sometime last year and rather enjoyed it although there were a few things that didn't quite add up- a few plot holes, but overall it was enjoyable. But still I didn't read the book. Then last week my mum saw the DVD on my shelf and asked if we could watch it, I didn't enjoy it as much the second time but still thought it was a fairly good story, so I decided it was time to dig the book out. 
I kind of wish I hadn't, maybe if I had read the book first or even left it a bit longer after seeing the movie I might have enjoyed it more, but as it was I found the book very slow. It starts off pretty much identical to the film and I got straight into the story, but it went downhill from there. 
The world is set up well and is very well described, Jeanne DePrau has a was with imagery but the story itself was just lacking for me.
I kept waiting for a bit of excitement, something to get my heart pounding and the story moving, but it was just Lena trying to solve the mystery of the paper she found, and she certainly struggles with that. 
Although only 269 pages it seemed longer and yet there didn't seem to be that much content. I know there is a second book and I am slightly curious as to what becomes of them all I don't think I will be reading it. I just wasn't overly inspired by it. 
Who knows, maybe the film influenced me and I would have enjoyed this book better if I didn't have that version in my head, but as it was I have to say, although it's a very rare confession from me, but the movie was better.

My Rating

    

No comments: