Sunday 3 August 2014

Book Review - The Rising

Title: The Rising
Author: Will Hill
Series: Department 19 (Book 2)
Publisher: HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks
Release Date: 2 Aug 2012
ISBN-13: 978-0007354504

Synopsis
91 Days till zero hour:

That's 91 days to run

91 days to hide

or 91 days to pray for
DEPARTMENT 19
to save you...
After the terrifying attack on Lindisfarne, Jamie, larissa and Kate are recovering at Department 19 headquarters, waiting for news of Dracula's stolen ashes.

They won't be waiting for long.


My Review
After finishing book 1 I went straight into reading this book, i literally put the first book down then picked this one up and read 200 pages of this one before coming up for a break. 
My reading slump is officially over thanks to Will Hill. I just can't get enough of these books and I find myself reaching for them at every opportunity, I have become invested in Jamie, Larissa and Kate's lives and all of those in Blacklight.

Things are getting serious, Dracula's remains have been stolen and there are rumours that he can be brought back. Department 19 figure they have 91 days before the experiment would be a total success, that's 91 days to stop Dracula from coming back. In the meantime they have other enemies to deal with, they may be classed as lower grade vampires but they mean as much business as anyone else. Jamie is thrown into the deep end, but he's still getting over the fact that Frankenstein was lost to him at the end of the last book. He still blames himself and carries the weight of that knowledge with him. With tension in the air he has to work to keep his team together and himself focused. There is a lot of work to do, not to mention a top secret project going on below the base.

This book seemed a lot faster pace than the first and I found myself rocketing through it. I suppose that the world had to be built up more in the first, so now it is established and we know who is who and what is going on Will Hill had more freedom with the story. Although there are still some new characters and some definite surprise plot twists. Seriously, I would just figure out what was happening or who was behind it all and something would happen that would make me totally second guess it all. 
There is quite a bit of violence and gore again, so word of warning to younger readers, but it's never pointless, it is always used to advance the story and makes you appreciate just how dangerous the situations are. 
These books will make your heart pound and the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. YOu will laugh, cry and jump in shock but you will love every minute. 
I can't wait to read book 3!      

My Rating
 

No comments: