Sunday 20 April 2014

Book Review - Sentient


Title: Sentient
Author: Kenechi Udogu
Series: The Mentalist (book 2)
Publisher: CreateSpace
Release Date: 6 Nov 2013
ISBN-13: 978-1493518692

Synopsis
Mastering her Progressive Empath abilities isn’t going as well as Gemma hoped. In fact, months after finding out what she really is, she still has no clue what this truly means. All she can do is wait to see if any new abilities will eventually manifest. Things aren’t going great with Russ either. Unsure of how to handle her Sentient Link with him, she tries to integrate herself in his busy social life but struggles to adjust to her new circumstances.

When she is plagued by recurring nightmares, Gemma realises things are changing and knows she has to do something, fast. The arrival of two sets of strangers in town, both offering the much needed assistance she needs to unearth her powers, escalates the situation even further. Gemma attempts to decipher whose intentions are genuine, but does she have enough time to figure out who has her best interest at heart?


My Review
I read book 1 in this series in February last year, I will admit that I have had this one on my reader since October but I just haven't had time to get round to it. However I took my e-reader with me on holiday and had a couple of hours in the airport to waste so I flicked open my reader and looked at what I had. This was next in my queue so I dug in. 
As it's been more than a year since I read the first I was worried that I wouldn't remember who any of the characters were or have any idea what was going on, but fortunately I was immediately absorbed by the story and some details started coming back to me. I wasn't confused at all thank goodness.
At only 165 pages this is quite a short story but once again Kenechi has managed to pack quite a lot in to the story that makes it gripping and exciting. We come back to Gemma who is still trying to figure out her powers and what makes her different from other Averters. Her Dad has gone into hiding as he is still being chased and a new girl turns up claiming to be a friend and tutor, but Gemma doesn't know who to trust.
I liked the new girl Laura, and the fact you weren't sure whether to trust her or not keeps you on the edge of your seat, but I liked her and hoped she would turn out good.
I felt drawn back into the world and I didn't want to leave until I knew what would come of the characters. I think this is set for at least one more book as there isn't a real conclusion to this book but there is a major development and I look forward to seeing what comes next. 
The characters are well developed and seem realistic, I could picture myself alongside them in the story. A fun, exciting read that will leave you wanting more.

My Rating
    

No comments: