Saturday 26 April 2014

Book Review - Eon: Rise of the Dragoney

Title: Eon - Rise of the Dragoneye (also released as 'Two Pearls of Wisdom')
Author: Alison Goodman
Series: Eon (Book 1)
Publisher: David Fickling Books
Release Date: 1 Jan 2010
ISBN-13: 978-1849920018

Synopsis
Twelve-year old Eon has been studying the ancient art of the Dragoneyes for two years. But he is playing a dangerous game: Eon is actually Eona, 16 years old and a girl. Her true identity must remain hidden at all costs: it is forbidden for women to practise the Art, and to be discovered would be punishable by death.

Let down by her injured leg, it seems that Eon is destined to fail in her quest, until a spectacular twist in events catapults her into the opulent but treacherous world of the Imperial court. Without a master to guide her, Eon must learn to harness her unprecedented natural power, while protecting the secret that could cost her everything . . .


My Review
I actually read this when it first came out nearly 5 years ago, long before I started this blog. Book 2 came out 2 years ago and I grabbed it remembering I had read and enjoyed this one. But I so far haven't got round to reading book 2 and so I decided to re-read book 1 before I started the second one.
As it has been so long since I read this I really didn't remember much about it, in fact hardly anything at all so it was almost like coming to it fresh.
Eon is hoping to become a Dragoneye, he has trained hard for it, but the fact that he is practically crippled by his injured hip and leg he doesn't stand much chance, and the fact that he is really 'Eona' a 16 year old girl having to hide her true identity makes it so much harder. However by a twist of fate she is not only selected as a Dragoneye but is chosen by the 'Mirror Dragon', the likes of which haven't been seen for over 500 years. Thrust into a world of power Eona must keep her secret hidden and maintain her life as 'Lord Eon' all whilst learning to control her power.
The ancient world and culture of the Dragoneyes is terrifically built throughout the story and weaves a rich background and setting. It really draws you into the book. Eon is a bit helpless but has an inner fire that you can't help but like her for. She will have you rooting for her in no time.
The villain is your typical bad guy and makes your skin crawl, you can't help but love to hate him and you'll be on the edge of your seat waiting to see what he'll do next and waiting for him to get what's coming to him.
There are a host of supporting characters and they all play their parts spectacularly, the story just lifts off the page. 
I wouldn't say I was completely blown away by the book, I wouldn't shout and scream about it but it was a very enjoyable story and if you like Fantasy I would recommend it to you. I'm looking forward to diving straight into book 2 and finding out what happens to Eona.

My Rating
    

No comments: