Monday 10 February 2014

Book Review - The Wysard

Title: The Wysard
Author: Deborah J. Lightfoot
Series: The Waterspell (book 2)
Publisher: Seven Rivers Publishing
Release Date: 2 Jan 2013
ASIN: B00686UJVU

Synopsis
After blundering into the last stronghold of magic, Carin discovers that she is right to fear the wizard Verek. He is using her to seal the ruptures in the void, and she may be nothing more to him than an expendable weapon. What will he do with her—or to her—when his world is again secure? Or has he erred in believing that the last bridge has been broken? The quest may not, in fact, be over … and Lord Verek may find himself not quite as willing to dispose of his fiery water-sylph, Carin, as he once believed himself to be.

My Review
I read book one sometime last year and really enjoyed it. I thought it was a fresh new fantasy story and wanted to read more so naturally when I was asked to review book 2 I said yes. Unfortunately I didn't read it straight away, it got put on my ipad and out of mind. In fact I haven't read an ebook for ages. I feel really bad about keeping people waiting for reviews, I am snowed under with them but trying to catch up a bit now.
However I did start to read this book back in December when I had a weekend away and got about 50 pages in. I did a quick recap of book 1 first so I could remember who everyone was and what had happened and then jumped into this one. Unfortunately though it didn't grab me and I put it down and when I got home I picked up a different book. 
I found it again a couple of weekends ago and decided now was the time. I read a good 150 pages in one go and then the battery on my ipad died so I had to put it down (that's the downside to ebooks!) I picked up another book whilst I waited for it to charge and once again this got pushed back. Over the past couple of weeks I have picked it up occasionally but I have found that I didn't really have an interest in it and struggled to get through it. But I persevered and finally finished it this weekend. 
After enjoying book 1 I was expecting a lot from this book and I just didn't feel it. Something didn't quite grab me, I couldn't make myself interested. Book 1 was fresh and exciting, I wanted to know the characters and see what they would do, but this book just felt quite drawn out to me.
Carin ends up going on a journey with Verek, still not sure of the old mans motives or her part in his plans. Not only that but his assistant Lanse seems to have it in for her, and the Sprite seems determined to cause trouble. I was intrigued by Verek's 'secret' at first and I wanted to know why he need Carin to journey with him, and the mystery behind the Wysard pools had my attention, but it felt really drawn out to me and I just stopped caring. There are a lot of arguments between Carin and Verek, Carin and Lanse, the Sprite and Verek, it was just to much for me. Everything just seemed a little bit slow. 
THere were elements of a good story, I liked the big cat and it's mysteriousness and the ending was a bit more exciting but by that point I just wanted to finish.
I don't know, maybe I just wasn't in the right mood or mind set for it, maybe I read it too disjointedly and should have started it again, I don't know. It just didn't work for me and I am sad to say that.

My Rating
 
      

No comments: