Saturday 17 August 2013

Book Review - Incubus

Title: Incubus
Author: Jennifer Quintenz
Series: Daugthers of Lillith (book 2)
Publisher: Secret Tree Press
Release Date: 10 Jun 2013
ISBN-13: 978-0615829135
ASIN: B00DCB4FN2

Synopsis
Braedyn Murphy used to think nothing important ever happened in her sleepy town of Puerto Escondido. But that was before she learned she was a descendent of Lilith, the mother of all demons. Now Braedyn fights to protect humanity from the Lilitu - the beautiful, souls-stealing daughters of Lilith.

As she fights the Lilitu, Braedyn must also fight her growing love for her boyfriend Lucas - because even a simple kiss could end his life. Their only ray of hope is an angel’s offer to make Braedyn human, but it’s an offer she can’t accept until the world is safe from the Lilitu.

Braedyn knows she’s a key player in this ancient war... but she’s not ready to believe she just might be humanity’s best hope of surviving the final battle for Earth.


My Review
I read book 1 back in May and really enjoyed it, so I was very happy when I was asked if I wanted to read and review book 2.
We are back with Braedyn and the impending war with the Lillitu. She knows something big is planned and that she is an essential tool in the upcoming battle, but no one is quite sure exactly what is going to happen. Then word gets out that an Incubus is in town, this causes major panic in the guard, not only are Incubus very rare but also very dangerous. They sort of work as male versions of the Lillitu and are dangerous. Now they have to find out who it is and what they want. With lots of potential suspects and victims both close to Braedyn and strangers, they need to act quickly. 
I liked the progression and development of the characters and the sub-plots that run through the book as well, all the issues between Braedyn and her school friends and work as well all interweave and build up the tension and story. 
During the book, Braedyn tries to figure out who the Incubus is, I have to admit I had a pretty good idea from at least half way in, but she is such a skilled writer that I would constantly second guess myself, every time I reassured myself that it was who I thought it was, she would do something in the storyline that would make me change my mind and think 'no it can't be!' However I was quite proud to be right, but it also meant the big revelation wasn't much of a shock or surprise to me. Anyone else read this and figured it out too? 
I count myself lucky to have found Quintenz as an author, her writing does captivate you and have you wanting more, the characters are likeable but also flawed - realsiitic, the sort of people you can imagine talking to, being friends with, or even being enemies with. This book was a little bit slower paced than the first but I still read it quickly and was always eager to know more.
I would strongly recommend this series, well worth a read.

My Rating
 
    

No comments: