Tuesday 13 August 2013

Book Review - Hell's Heroes

Title: Hell's Heroes
Author: Darren Shan
Series: The Demonata (book 10)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 26th November 2009
ISBN-13: 978-0007260362

Synopsis
Beranabus and Dervish are gone. Bec has formed an unholy alliance with Lord Loss. Kernel is blind, held on Earth against his will. Grubbs is mad with grief and spinning out of control.
The demons are crossing.
The Disciples are falling.
The Shadow is waiting.

Welcome to the end.

My Review
So here it is, the end of the series. A series that has made me shudder, gasp, cringe, and sometimes laugh a little. I have been hooked to this and raced through it, and here it is - the final part. I expected big things my friends. I wanted it all wrapped up, all loose ends tied up and something exciting to blow my socks off. Or at least I hoped for it, but as I was disappointed with the end of his Darren Shan Saga series, I was a little concerned, as I have to say I enjoyed that series more overall. But anyway.

This book carries on right where the last picked up, as it says in the synopsis which was taken from the back of the book - Dervish finally packs it in, he dies right at the beginning. And I was devastated - i knew it would happen but I hoped for a miracle. But I could see why he did it, so I could accept it.
That leaves us with Grubbs, now part Wolf and Kernel, still battling with his sight and the colours, trying to fight off untold hoards of demons now crossing into our world and turning the world into death and chaos.
Bec seems to have chosen the wrong side and teamed up with Lord Loss - this I couldn't agree with, she was probably my favourite character of them all and I couldn't accept that she would turn her back on the others, just didn't gel with me, so no didn't like that. Although things are explained later, I'm still not happy.

This series started off so strongly, I've never read anything this gruesome or 'scary' before but I found myself hooked, but by this book I was a bit bored with it. Don't get me wrong, the writing itself is still Shan's masterful work, it still flows off the page and reads well, never a problem with the writing itself, just what that writing is saying. I wanted more, it all just got a bit - this is the end, let's just wrap it up and be done. 
I kept waiting for some absolutely epic battle where the heroes would either vanquish their enemies even when it seemed impossible, and although the world had suffered untold damage there was hope as they had survived. Or as this was a Shan book, I kind of expected an epic battle where they go down fighting and they all die in spectacular fashion, taking numbers of demons with them.

SPOILERS!!!!!
SPOILERS!!!!!
SPOILERS!!!!!


Parts of both are slightly true but that's when things just got silly. The whole chess board thing came back and the great 'Kah-Gesh' finally serves it's purpose, but for me it was just a bit ridiculous and made me wonder what the point was. So the universe started as a giant chess board, inhabited by demons on one colour of squares and what? aliens on the other colour, some sort of life form anyway? or was it humans. I honestly don't know. 

Either way, seriously?? The Big Bang was the giant chess board being tipped out of balance and more universes created. Wait, What???

Then Grubbs, Kernel and Bec survive in a sense- they are now completely the Kah-Gesh but with the power to rebuild the world. But this time - they can do it right, fix all the problems and maybe even adjust time a little so that they're loved ones still 'exist' - of course *insert eye roll.

Why go through the whole series, struggling, fighting, battling with them if everything is just wiped clean at the end like someone hit a 'reset' button. It's such a weak ending. I wanted POW! and I got meh. 

SO disappointed. I wish I'd stopped at the end of book 8 really, with all the werewolves going off to an island and the rest of the characters carrying on the good fight until they reach the end of their tether. To me, that is how I will remember the series, otherwise I won't remember it fondly, which is a shame because the rest of the series was great, Epic even!

 My Rating
 

No comments: