Sunday 4 August 2013

Book Review - Blood Beast

Title: Blood Beast
Author: Darren Shan
Series: The Demonata (book 5)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 1 November 2007
ISBN13: 9780007231324

Synopsis
"Locked inside Dervish's study. Breath coming quickly, raggedly. Trembling wildly. I still feel sick and dizzy, but maybe that's fear. I force myself to breathe normally, evenly. When I'm in control, I study my reflection, looking for telltale signs. Am I turning into a werewolf? I don't know..."

Grubbs Grady has so far escaped the family curse, but when he begins to experience alarming symptoms at the onset of the full moon, he is scared that the jaws of fate are opening and about to swallow him whole.

He has cheated death, defeated demons, moved on with his life. But Grubbs is torn between the world of magic and his wolfen genes. Can he fight the beast inside or will he fall victim to his tainted blood?
 


My Review
I've made it harder on myself to review these as I have read 3 of them since my last review, so I need to try to separate what's happened and look at each book in turn. So here goes.
We're back with Grubbs (YAY) and the story continues on with the family curse. However this one also holds importance with the events of book 4 (Bec). Things started to come together and make sense. The tunnel from the previous book makes a reappearance, but centuries have passed since Bec's time (think it says something like 600 years) but her story becomes very relevant. 
Grubbs is afraid he may be turning into a wolf, he fights it as much as he can, but can anyone avoid their fate? or at least a curse this old? 
We also of course see more of Dervish and Bill-E, I love the three of them together, it's like a very strange, more morbid version of the 3 musketeers. :D
As I saw things come together and more secrets make sense and come to light I found myself enjoying this one more and more. 
There is a lot of mystery in this book, you know something big is coming, but you're not quite sure what. You know it's going to change the course of the books to come though. 
The ending had me on the edge of my seat and I couldn't wait to see if Grubbs would figure everything out and what he would do next, was totally shocked by some deaths though.
 Read this in mere hours, still can't get enough.
Usual warning - bit gory in places. 

My Rating
    

No comments: