Monday 22 July 2013

Book Review - Lord of the Shadows

Title: Lord of the Shadows
Author: Darren Shan
Series: The Saga of Darren Shan (book 11)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 21 Mar 2011
ISBN-13: 978-0007159208

Synopsis
Darren Shan is going home--and his world is going to hell. Old enemies await. Scores must be settled. Destiny looks certain to destroy him, and the world is doomed to fall to the Ruler of the Night....





My Review
Things are coming together and getting very dramatic. This Penultimate book and it's all getting very exciting. 
Darren is back where it all started in his home town, crossing old faces and having to deal with old demons from his past. Family, friends, community, things have moved on without him but others have stayed the same.
And then everything around him turns to chaos as his fight against the Vampire Lord starts to get even more messy. 
The whole series has been building up to this finale and this book sets up the final points, ready for what I am sure will be a truly Epic ending. 
Lots more deaths, adventures and madness that will have you flicking through the pages as fast as possible. 
There were a couple of moments when I scoffed at the absurdity of the situation, but really you've just got to go with it in these books and most things make sense later.
There was a 'big revelation' with one of the new characters in this book - 'Darius' but I figured that out pretty much as soon as he was introduced. I won't give it away here, but I was surprised by how obvious it was, but maybe that's just me. 
I liked that Shan went back to his roots and this book felt like it was back on track, the last book had essential info but was a bit random, this one pulled it back.
Can't believe I'm this close to the end of the series!

My Rating
     

No comments: