Saturday 11 May 2013

Book Review - The Vanished

Title: The Vanished
Author: Sarah Dalton
Series: The Blemished (book 2)
Publisher: CreateSpace
Release Date: 30 Jan 2013
ISBN-13: 978-1481863391
ASIN: B00B76P2KO

Synopsis
The Vanished are the forgotten: those who live beyond law or society. Mina fought for freedom. She fought for a better life – a future. But even a free world can decay.
As Mina begins her new life in the Clans she meets people with surprising knowledge about her power, knowledge that could change everything – even her relationship with Daniel. But as she makes new friends, old friends turn against her in shocking betrayal.
Life in the Compound is tough; there are ways and traditions so strange that Mina begins to suspect foul play at the very heart of her new home. Instead of leaving corruption behind in Area 14, Mina is faced with the rotten core of human nature as a Clan warlord threatens to invade the Compound. The Clans are turning against each other and Mina is stuck in the middle.

The Vanished is the second installment in the Blemished series and follows Mina’s story as she continues to challenge those in power and seek out new dangers. With even more rebellion, romance and betrayal, The Vanished promises to take the reader on a roller-coaster ride of adventure and emotion.
Will freedom fall?
 


My Review
After finishing book 1 I just had to know more, I immediately bought it from Amazon on my kindle app. I'm still not a massive fan of ebooks but they certainly have their uses. 
This starts right where book 1 left off, Mina has managed to escape Area 14 and has made her way to Scotland, it's supposed to be a safe haven but things aren't all what they expected. 
The clans aren't quite what Mina expected, there is split groups, arguments and dissension between the members and Mina is thrust into the heart of it with her friends Daniel, Angela and Sebastion. 
ONce there Mina is reunited with her father and you discover some of his past and secrets, I don't like him very much, he tends to put plans and strategies before his daughter, he does show a soft side but not very often. Then we are introduced to the 'Freaks', a group of kids who have powers like Mina, her dad had been 'collecting' them, meet Kitty, Mike, and Hiro. They all have different powers but they fit together and become stronger. (I won't spoil the link or their powers).
I really liked the group and how well Mina fit into the group, they bring more excitement and a sense of belonging into the book. The real shocker for me was Angela's reaction, I actually quite liked her in book 1, I felt sorry for her and admired her strive and kindness, but all that vanishes in this book. Mina is still determined to stand by her, but I have to admit I would have distanced myself as much as possible. 
I liked the characters at the Clans and round it, they bring a wider view of the world. And each person mentioned had a purpose, they all moved the plot forward or made a difference somehow, one of my favourites is Ali.
This book has a lot more action than the first (The Blemished), it's a lot faster-paced and dangerous, a war is brewing and Mina seems to be caught in the middle.
The writing flows off the page and the characters become like friends, you are transported through the story and it draws you further and further in. 
I really love this series and can't wait to see where it goes in the next book.

My Rating
          
  

No comments: