Monday 6 May 2013

Book Review - The Blemished

Title: The Blemished
Author: Sarah Dalton
Series: The Blemished (book 1)
Publisher: Sarah Dalton
Release Date: 7 Aug 2012
ASIN: B008UP8C52 
ISBN-13: 978-1781766675

Synopsis
A beautiful world comes at a price...
In a world filled with stunning clones Mina Hart is Blemished. Her genes are worthless and that takes away her rights: her right to an Education, her right to a normal life and her right to have a child.
Mina keeps a dangerous secret which she never thought she could share until she meets Angela on her first day at St Jude's School. But their friendship is soon complicated by Angela’s adoptive brother Daniel. Mina finds herself drawn to his mysterious powers and impulsive nature. Then there is the gorgeous clone Sebastian who Mina is forbidden from even speaking to…
The Blemished is a frightening take on a fractured future where the Genetic Enhancement Ministry have taken control of Britain. It will take you on a ride filled with adventure, romance and rebellion.


My Review
I did a promotion post for this book last year and the author sent me an e-book copy of the book to read if I could. As my mountainous pile has been hanging over me for the past year I hadn't got round to it. But tonight it called to me and as my pile is getting down to a more manageable size I got stuck in.
This book is a dystopian/paranormal cross. Set in a world where beauty and perfection are cherished and strived for anyone deemed at fault is looked down on - they are called the 'Blemished'. The Blemished are children that have a family history of illness but were born the 'old way'. Most babies now are called 'GEMS' - they are genetically enhanced, almost like clones to be perfect - health, beauty, behaviour, it's all bred into them.
Mina is a Blemished but she has a special secret - she has a hidden power, but in a world where she should be hidden in the shadows and is looked upon as a waste, it's hard to stand up for what is right. 

I liked the world created by Dalton here, it's scary because it's something that probably could happen, it's been on the news about genetic experiments with babies already so this isn't too out there, and the result is not positive. This is so well written the world comes alive off the page and I could visualize it all.

Mina is a great heroin, confused and a bit lost but with a great inner strength and feistyness that shows you she is willing to fight no matter what. She is loyal and caring and will stand up for those that need help. 
Angela is Mina's new best friend, she's a bit of a gossip but seems generally quite nice, she has quite a hard time of it and handles everything as best she can, but I'm not sure how invested she really is in the friendship. 
Daniel is Angela's adopted brother and has a secret power too, he becomes utterly devoted to Mina and Angela, willing to sacrifice everything to keep them safe. I loved his loyalty and fearlessness, but he did get a bit self-pitying at times which I wanted to slap out of him. 
The whole controlling government set up was sufficiently terrifying and their teacher at the school made Miss Trunchball seem like a pussy cat!
There is a romance element to this book, some love triangles involved and it adds to the suspense, I'm not sure who I want to end up with who, but I was gripped to see how it would all unfold.  
 
This book will totally hook you in. I read it in one sitting and did not want to put it down. I have also downloaded book 2 straight away to get stuck into. I have to know what will happen to everyone. 

An excellent book and world, Dalton has some pure talent. 

My Rating
 

       

No comments: