Saturday 11 May 2013

Book Novella Reviews - The Fractured - Blemished

There are 2 novellas that are based on the world of 'The Blemished' by Sarah Dalton. They have been given their own series called 'The Fractured'. So far there are 2 books in the series and I am going to review them both in one post.

Title: The Fractured: Elena
Author: Sarah Dalton
Series: The Fractured (book 1) : Blemished (book 2.5)
Release Date: 14th March 2013
ASIN: B00BUR609W

Synopsis
In a fractured Britain, the Genetic Enhancement Ministry have taken control. Parents buy designer babies and those with genetic faults are labelled Blemished and shunned from society.

Elena Darcey is just as perfect as the other clones, but there is something different about Elena, because she’s in trouble. After helping Area 14’s most famous criminals escape, Elena has to get out before her teacher-- the formidable Margaret Murgatroyd --finds out that she is a sympathiser for the Blemished. The perfect opportunity arises as a beauty pageant promises the winner a trip to London. Will Elena cope with the cut-throat world of a beauty pageant filled with sabotage, violence and betrayal? If she makes it to London, will she find the safe haven she craves? Does she discover more than she'd expected after meeting the mysterious Jake Bloom?
 

My Review
You see quite a bit of Elena in book 1 - 'The Blemished', although she is a secondary character she plays quite a vital part in Mina's story and you see her grow and change throughout the story so I was actually quite pleased she would be getting her own story.
This book follows on from the ending of book 1 - Mina has escaped and Elena helped her get away, but no-one can know what she did or there will be serious trouble. 
When a beauty pageant crops up Elena sees it as her chance to escape too, to leave Area 14 and head to London, but she has to pretend to be someone else to get through and London may not be all she expected either.
I like the way Elena has grown and adapted from book 1, she becomes somewhat more human and approachable. She actually seems to think about her actions and how they will affect others. 
This novella was short and sweet and packed with excitement. It will have you flipping the pages over desperate for more. 
This didn't go where I expected it to but I really enjoyed it and I still want more. The ending surprised me and I just have to know what Elena does next. 

My Rating




           
Title: The Fractured:Maggie

Author: Sarah Dalton
Series: The Fractured (book 2) : Blemished (book 2.6)
Release Date: 1st May 2013
ASIN: B00CL8B1SY

Synopsis 
In a fractured Britain, the Genetic Enhancement Ministry have taken control. Parents buy designer babies and those with genetic faults are labelled Blemished and shunned from society.
Margaret Murgatroyd failed in her mission to capture three Blemished escapees. She fears the Ministry will demote her to full-time teacher and remove her Ministry rights. But Margaret is surprised as she’s given a new opportunity with new responsibilities, the only problem are old memories it brings up. Margaret remembers herself as a young girl, Maggie Powell, and the mistakes she made as a young lab technician working at the Genetic Enhancement Ministry as it first embarked on its take-over of Britain. She remembers the mistakes she made, the people who betrayed her and the way it shaped her as a woman.


My Review
Desperate for more from this world I found this and downloaded it immediately, it's only 74 pages and took me about 20 minutes to read but does so much for the series. At first I was confused as to who Maggie was, we know her as Margaret in The Blemished. She is the mean head-teacher out to get Mina, she is a formidable woman and seemingly heartless. 
I was intrigued what this book would bring, but it is a great addition to the series. You learn of Maggie's past - who her father was, how she got her heart broken and what she lost in life. After reading this you can kind of understand how she became so bitter, I still don't like her and she could have handled things better and moved on, but I can see why she is how she is. It was refreshing to get that insight. I still think she is horrible and uncaring but now I know why. It doesn't really make it better but it does give you a sense of understanding and I don't quite dislike her as much as I did. 
This also brings an insight into how the whole GEM project started and why and it makes you realise just how creepy it all is, and how realistic it seems. 
I am still left wanting more, I just know certain characters are going to be thrown back together and I can't wait!

My Rating
        


No comments: