Wednesday 29 May 2013

Armchair BEA - Genre Fiction

Grab this button 
Today's topic for Armchair BEA is all about Genres in fiction.

We all have a preferred genre or two and today we are supposed to share our loves.

 For me my go to genre is Paranormal Fantasy, I have really gotten into the whole vampire and werewolf scene. If you had told me 7 or 8 years ago that I would enjoy vampire books I would have laughed in your face.

As a child I always loved the animal stories like 'Animal Ark' by Lucy Daniels, I also enjoyed Jacqueline Wilson and then anything to do with dragons - but I wasn't massively into fantasy, just dragons. I used to collect dragons and finding books about them kept me happy. Books like 'Dragon in Spring Term' would keep me happy for hours.

I have never been a fan of horror films or anything but I watched a bit of a vampire film when I was younger and it terrified me, I couldn't sleep for weeks and even now I can't sleep if there is a gap in my curtains, I was convinced that if they were open and I looked out I might see a vampire outside waiting to come in. I know it's silly but as a child it freaked me out.

As I grew up my interests grew to proper fantasy, Harry Potter widened my tastes and set me onto magic and monsters etc, but I still stayed away from Paranormal. Vampires still terrified me and I couldn't imagine ever reading one.

Then we had a book day at work where we were given a selection of books we had to read and then discuss. 'Marked' by P.C & Kristen Cast was on the list and my heart sunk. I would have to face it and read a vampire book. This was only about 4 years ago now. So I sat down to read it and actually really enjoyed it. I couldn't believe it, I found as many as I could from that series and then branched out to some others. Now I really like them. Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampires are one of my favourites. I also love Julie Kagawa's 'Blood of Eden' series.

From there I branched into the whole Paranormal genre - werewolves have also become a favourite for me, the Shiver series by Maggie Stiefvater, Changeling series by Steve Feasey. I love them all.
That also led me into the whole Dystopian genre which I've noticed has become very popular lately which I'm quite happy about. I love it.
Some of my favourites include:
'Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins,
'Breathe' by Sarah Crossan
'Divergent' series by Veronica Roth
'Slated' by Teri Terry

My other genre of choice is what I suppose you would call contemporary fiction, sort of 'real life' feel to them, about growing up, relationships, friendships something quite light or that I can relate to. Used to call it 'Chic Lit' (is that still separate, a lot of genres seem to blur the lines these days!)
Things like the Georgia Nicholson series by Lousie Rennison, 'The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants' by Ann Brashares, 'Geek Girl' by Holly Smale, right through to the more serious ones like 'Pushing the Limits' by Katie McGarry and 'Before I Die' by Jenny Downham

I will read quite a wide range, but I won't read full out horror, I'm still a wimp in that respect and although I like a good mystery with maybe a very gentle murder (such as Sherlock Holmes) I won't read Crime or Thrillers, they're too gory.

So what genres do you love and which books would you recommend from them.

If you've read all that, you've done well!!! :D

5 comments:

Annette Mills said...

You probably know I read anything. But so many of the books/series you mentioned are my favorites. Hope you enjoy Armchair BEA!

Anonymous said...

I can't do full horror either. I don't even think I can really do horror light--just other genres that have hints of horror are about all I can take. Same with the murder mysteries!

Cici said...

I kind of like the paranormal stuff...I really enjoy getting into a genre of books that I was pretty certain I wouldn't enjoy!

Angela's Anxious Life said...

I love paranormal books. If it weren't for the Sookie books I wouldn't even have started reading paranormal. Thanks Sookie Stackhouse! :)

Angie

Videoclimber said...

I love paranormal and am a BIG horror fan! I loved The Hunger Games too!