Sunday 29 July 2012

Book Review - My Story

Title: My Story
Author: Tom Daley
Publisher: Michael Joseph
Release Date: 24 May 2012
ISBN-13: 978-0718158071

Synopsis
Born in 1994, Tom Daley started diving at the age of seven. Specializing in the 10 metre platform event, he became the youngest British World Champion in any sport to come first in the FINA World Championships. He represented Great Britain at the 2008 Summer Olympics, where he was Britain's youngest competitor. Tom won two gold medals for England at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in the 10 metre synchro diving and the 10 metre individual platform competition. In 2007, 2009 and 2010, he was named BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year. Tom lives with his family in Plymouth and is currently training for the 2012 London Olympics. 


My Review
With the build up to the Olympics Tom Daley has featured more and more in the news and on TV and in the media in genereal, as a Diver myself (obviously nowhere near his level) I've always been intrigued with him and wanted to know more, how he got into Diving, what it took to be as good as he is. This book is the way to look into his world and see all he has been through.
This book is very honest and gives you a great insight into his life. It talks a lot about his diving (as expected) and explains a lot about different dives and scoring and difficulty levels. I found this interesting and I followed it easily as I already have a basic understanding of these things, but to be honest i think it is explained in a basic enough way that anyone could understand it.
Tom takes you back to his early childhood and how he first got into Diving, right up to a few months ago, waiting for the London Olympics to start.
Follow his ups and downs in life from success in competitions to injuries, bullying, fear and losing his dad. He hasn't had an easy life but he has never given up, he seems to have good values and a good work ethic.
I was in tears when I read the chapters about his dad's illness and death, as I lost my Gran to cancer I understand what he went through and how hard it is for a person to just not be there anymore. You can really feel the love and respect he had for his dad, it radiates of the page. This book throughout is really heart-felt and honest.
I know this is different from my normal read, but I do like autobiographies if they are about people i have an interest in and this one gave me just what I was looking for. Including some awesome photos of his Diving.
A great read for all Olympic fans!!!


My Rating
 



 

No comments: