Sunday 22 July 2012

Book Review - A Confusion of Princes

Title: A Confusion of Princes
Author: Garth Nix
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 17 May 2012
ISBN-13: 978-0007298358

Synopsis
You’d think being a privileged Prince in a vast intergalactic Empire would be about as good as it gets. But it isn’t as great as it sounds. For one thing, Princes are always in danger. Their greatest threat? Other Princes. Khemri discovers that the moment he is proclaimed a Prince.

He also discovers mysteries within the hidden workings of the Empire. Dispatched on a secret mission, Khemri comes across the ruins of a space battle. In the midst of it all he meets a young woman named Raine, who will challenge his view of the Empire, of Princes, and of himself.



My Review
I have always quite liked Garth Nix, I devoured his Keys to Kingdom series as a child and moved onto to the Abhorsen series. I was excited to see a new title by him but a little skeptical as it looked more sci-fi than fantasy and I'm not a mass sci-fi fan. It has to be really good to hook me in.
My best friend read it first and said it was worth reading but 'a bit complicated to start with', and that I should 'stick with it'. So to be honest I didn't have massive high hopes for this book.
I had a day off work yesterday so I decided to get this book read.
The book follows Prince Khemri as he graduates into the proper Prince training and is sent on various missions to reach his goal to become the next Emperor. Sounds simple right? well it's not, I wasn't as confused as I thought I would be but there was definitely places where I thought 'huh?' 
Prince Khemri starts off as an arrogant, self-obsessed jerk. He sort of annoyed me at first, I wanted to slap him and tell him to get over himself.  He does grow as a character and become more likeable as the book goes on.
For me this book was a bit odd, I would be reading and thinking I might put it down for a while, I can't be bothered, but as soon as I would close it, something would make me pick it up again and read more. There is just something about Nix's writing that hooks you in and refuses to let go, I had to finish the book, despite what I may say - I was into the story and I was on some level enjoying it.
There are a few twists and turns that make the story more exciting and move the plot on in a satisfactory way. The world is well described and details included, I think Nix could do more with it now he has made it.
I liked the ending and was hoping it would go that way. So overall, I'm glad I stayed with it and finished it, but it wasn't Epic or amazing. Fans of his work and Sci-Fi fans would probably love it. Worth giving it a try, but not amazing. 

My Rating
  



 

1 comment:

brandileigh2003 said...

Glad that the main character grew and changed. Thanks for review,
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog