Sunday 13 May 2012

Book Review - Darkfall

Title: Darkfall
Author: Janice Hardy
Series: The Healing Wars (book 3)
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 29 Mar 2012
ISBN-13: 978-0007326853

Synopsis
Nya lives in a world of pain.
A kidnapped sister, a war-crazy tyrant and the dangerous power she dreads to wield darken her dreams. But Nya must face her ultimate fear – she must unleash her blue fire…

Nya makes an epic return to her ravaged city of Geveg in a desperate attempt to find her kidnapped sister, Tali, and to overthrow the evil Duke for ever.
As she and her friends makes the perilous journey across occupied land, Nya begins to transcend her orphaned outsider state to embody the face of Gevegian resistance, and a cult of worshippers grows around her.
But can Nya live up to the expectations of the Sainters’ cult, and will she cave in to the temptation of manipulating them with her new-found powers in her bid to oust the Duke from power?
An almighty battle against the Duke and his armies of Undying, awaits her and Nya must face losing more than ever before…

My Review
I read book 1 and 2 when they came into the library and got through them really quickly. I thoroughly enjoyed them and wanted more. I then found out I had to wait about a month for this one to be released and I was annoyed as well as excited. I put an order in at the library, asking them to buy it for their stock but it took longer to go through than I expected. It only came in last week. I considered just buying it a few times myself, but I really can't spend more money on books, I'm broke, so I had to wait it out.
When this arrived last week I literally squealed and jumped up and down, we had some electricians in at the time and they jumped and looked at me like I was a total freak (I'm used to that look). However I had some review books to read so I couldn't start it until yesterday, grrr.
When I started reading this it took me a couple of chapters to get back into the story as it continues on from book 2 and I had to remember all that had happened. It soon came back to me and once again I was drawn into the world. Unfortunately I didn't get much time to read yesterday and only got about 50 pages in,  but I sat down this evening and read of the rest of the book. Once I was stuck in I couldn't put it down again.
Nya is on the run on the brink of a war, her sister has been captured, people are dying and fighting and she's not sure what's the best plan of action. With her friends by her side she once more steps into the heart of danger and does her best to fight back. But enemies are multiplying in numbers and dividing in forces, there are more and more people fighting but not all for the same sides. Things are starting to get complicated. Nya has to try and stop all the fighting with the least amount of damage and try to control her Healer/Shifter powers at the same time.

I really do have to say that I love Janice Hardy's writing style, there is something so fresh and fast-paced about it, it's funny, adventurous, exciting, moving, amazing, magical, empathatic and just incredible. Really I couldn't ask for more from her. The story sweeps me up and it feels like I've known Nya, Tali, Donello, Aylin and the rest of them for a long time. Like long lost friends and my heart was in my mouth for a lot of this book. It certainly packs a punch.
I think this is the last book in the series (trilogy) and it certainly goes off with a bang!

I was glad Tali was back more, she was always one of my favourites, I was a bit upset about some of the things that happened to her, but it made for very exciting reading and I loved how it turned out.
I would have to say for me this is the best one of the series, but they are all fantastic.
If you haven't read them all I suggest you add them to your list.
Book 1 is 'Pain Merchants', so find a copy and get stuck in.

 I'm counting this in my 'Books Read in a Day' challenge as 95% was read in one sitting, and it was within a 24 hour time period.

My Rating
 

No comments: