Friday 23 March 2012

Book Review - Double Cross

Title: Double Cross
Author: Malorie Blackman
Series: Noughts & Crosses (book 4)
Publisher: Corgi Childrens
Release Date: 6 Aug 2009
ISBN-13: 978-0552559607

Synopsis
Just this once . . . Please let me get away with it just this once . . .

Tobey wants a better life - for him and his girlfriend Callie Rose. He wants nothing to do with the gangs that rule the world he lives in. But when he's offered the chance to earn some money just for making a few 'deliveries', just this once, would it hurt to say 'yes'?

One small decision can change everything . . .




My Review
I adore the Noughts and Crosses series, some of the best books ever written. I bought this book as soon as it came out, but I never got round to it, it's been sitting on my shelf staring at me and I've been aching to read it so I finally made myself sit down with it. And I'm glad I did.
This story follows on from the dramatic events at the end of book 3. The only difference is that this book is only told from Tobey and Callie's point of view, and a big chunk of the book is just Tobey.
Obviously Sephy and Meggie are featured, mentioned etc, but they do not head any of the chapters and i must admit part of me missed them, they are such well rounded and developed characters that not having them felt a bit like missing a friend. But this story is focused on Tobey and Callie Rose and so makes sense to be between the two of them.
I love the pair's easy going humour and sarcasm and how they seem to just fit together. But they are on a rocky path. 
I devoured the beginning of the book, I couldn't look away and laughed out loud in places and then screamed aloud at a very dramatic part (scaring the other person in the room as I screamed) I did find that the second half moved a little slower, having it single point of view felt strange for this story, but did give a deeper insight to Tobey and allowed us to get to know him. He does some things that may surprise you, but I feel like his heart was in the right place and I couldn't help but like him.
I would have liked to see Sephy more in the second half, she features in conversations with Tobey, but part of me felt like the situation was so big I would liked to have had a deeper insight to her reaction.
However what we did have was a good story and I can appreciate everything that was put in. There are so many twists and turns and you're never totally sure who to trust. 
I can't believe I waited so long to read this book, I think I'm mental. I do feel a bit sad now it's over though, I love this series so much I just want more and more and more, maybe that's why I put off reading it for so long, I didn't want it to end.

I think this is one series that every single person should read, it's just breath-taking. In fact, I finished reading this book about 5 hours ago but I still can't stop thinking about it and wishing for more, remembering moments still makes me catch my breath. Just beautiful, story-telling at it's best.

I will add a warning - it is written on the back of the book 'Not suitable for younger readers', this book contains drug usage, violence and sex. so I would be careful as to what age you let read it, but none of it is just thrown in, it all has a purpose and is explained in the storyline and does make a difference, so I don't have a problem with it being there, just be warned for younger/immature readers.

My Rating
 
 I think this is the first time I've used this rating since I changed my system. Thought I would use it more, but I have to really love a book for this, and this book just calls to me. Can't get enough.

No comments: