Saturday 14 January 2012

Book Review - Elixir

Title: Elixir
Author: Hilary Duff
Series: Elixir (book 1)
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: 7 Jun 2011
ISBN-13: 978-1442408548

Synopsis
As the daughter of a renowned surgeon and a prominent Washington D.C. politician, Clea Raymond has felt the glare of the spotlight her entire life. And though she dreads the paparazzi who track her every move, she herself is a talented photojournalist who takes refuge in a career that allows her to travel to the most exotic parts of the world.
But after Clea’s father disappears while on a humanitarian mission, eerie, shadowy images of a strange and beautiful young man begin to appear in Clea’s photos—a man she has never seen in her life.
When Clea suddenly encounters this man in person she is stunned—and feels an immediate and powerful connection. As they grow closer, they are drawn deep into the mystery behind her father’s disappearance and discover the centuries-old truth behind their intense bond.
Torn by a dangerous love triangle and haunted by a powerful secret that holds their fate, together they race against time to unravel their past in order to save their future—and their lives.

  
My Review
I have been a massive fan of Hilary Duff since I was a child, I adored 'Lizzie McGuire' on TV, and i watched any film she was in so when I saw a book in the library by her I decided I would have to try it. One of my colleagues also liked her and since I had a large TBR pile we agreed she would try it and let me know. She gave it to me saying 'it's ok, not fantastic but worth a read'. So i put it in my tray not very hopeful.
However it seemed to call to me, I thought I would leave it a while before reading it, but when I finished my last book I picked this one up.
The book wasn't what I expected but i did enjoy it. There is an air of mystery throughout, I spent the whole book trying to find out where her dad was, who the mysterious guy was, what was really going on with Ben. It was great, the book is quite fast paced, there is some spooky bits in it that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, there are some great love story moments, and a sense of adventure. 
There were a few moments when I found myself skimming the page a bit and I would start to get bored, but then something would happen and i would be absorbed. This book had me both ways. Some of the mysteries are resolved, but a lot of them are left open clearly ready for the next book. And the ending leaves you wanting more. 
I didn't realize the next book in the series is actually on the shelf in the library that I work in, if i'd remembered to check before I came home today I would have grabbed it, but i didn't. I looked it up online and am kicking myself. It's not open tomorrow being Sunday so I've got to wait til Monday for the next part and I actually really want it. Annoying!


I think this was an enjoyable read, and I'm glad I read it, I would recommend it to some of the girls in my teen book group. I was surprised by how much I got into it.


My Rating

2 comments:

Komal Kant said...

I've been tossing up whether or not to read this one because I read some bad reviews of it, but I think I will pick it up when I see it next.

I'm also a Lizzie fan! :)

barmybex said...

Cool, give it a go. ;D hope you enjoy it.
Good old days of Lizzie McGuire.