Thursday 3 November 2011

Book Review - Last Breath

Title: Last Breath
Author: Rachel Caine
Series: Morganville Vampires (book 11)
Publisher: Allison & Busby
Release Date: 28 Oct 2011
ISBN-13: 978-0749008147

Synopsis
Claire Danvers is concerned when three vampires vanish from Morganville without a trace. The last person seen with them is someone new to town - a mysterious individual named Magnus. Claire is convinced creepy Magnus isn't human ...but is he a vampire, or something else entirely? Claire's hunt for answers leads her to solving another mystery that's long been puzzling her: why do vampires live so far out in a sunny desert when they're sensitive to sunlight? The answer has nothing to do with sunlight, but with water - and an ancient enemy who has finally found a way to invade the vampires' landlocked community. Vampires aren't the top predator on earth. There's something worse that preys on them ...something much worse. Which means if Claire, and Morganville, want to live, they will have to fight on to the last breath ...
ALSO INCLUDES A BRAND NEW AND EXCLUSIVE MORGANVILLE SHORT STORY 

My Review
I am supposed to be on a book buying ban, I have so many books to be read, and I'm short of money, but I saw this had been released and I just had to buy it - come on it's Rachel Caine. RACHEL CAINE people, she is an absolute LEGEND. 
I love Rachel Caine's style of writing, her books capture you immediately, plus she's a really nice person in real life. Hope she comes back to the UK so I can meet her again.
This book is number 11 in the series and it just keeps getting better. Some series' that go on this long start to feel tired or boring, but these just get more exciting and I can't wait for more. I can never get too much Caine.
Vampires are disappearing and something sinister is lurking in the shadows. Claire is sure she has seen someone or something lurking in the shadows. She has to figure out what is happening before it's too late and the entire town goes down.
Opening these books is like being welcomed home or greeted by friends. I instantly feel like I am in their world and ready to share their story, part of their lives.
I love how Claire continues to grow as a character - you get more and more of her each time and it's like watching her grow up.
Eve is still sassy and funny and like a big sister, but on eyou don't mess with as she could kick your a**.
I like Shane more and more and you see another side of him in this book. 
Myrnin is still my favourite, don't know why but something about him makes me smile and I want more of him on the page.
The plot in this book is exciting, like grip the pages, chew your nails, squeal in shock exciting. It's 477 pages long and I read it in less than 24 hours. I just couldn't stop!
I highly recommend you read this series, it is incredible. Definitely one of my favourites. 

My Rating
I would give this book 10/10, absolutely fantastic.  

5 comments:

Celeste said...

I was excited to read this book and now I'm even more excited for it. I think Myrnin should get his own spin off book series. I absolutely love him! Thanks for the review!

Amy J said...

OMG! I can't wait to get my hands on this book. I am addicted to this series. Seriously, it is like the readers version of crack! LOL

I went to buy it on release day and the only store we have is Kmart. Not in stock! I almost cried. So I might just have to buy it online.

Great review and now I will go sob a little more for not having it yet.

barmybex said...

Celeste - I love that idea. a whole Myrnin book would rock!

Amy J - i totally agree, it really is, I'm addicted.
I had to search 3 different shops to find it, when I did I actually squealed.
I hope you get it soon.

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

oh wow! 10/10 sounds exciting especially for a book 11 in a series. I can tell this is one awesome series.

barmybex said...

It really is Alexis - you really should try them.:D