Friday 26 August 2011

Book Review - The Princess Diaries Mia Goes Fourth

Title: Mia Goes Fourth
Author: Meg Cabot
Series: Princess Diaries (book 4) 
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Release Date: 1 Jun 2007
ISBN-13: 978-0330415446

Synopsis
Mia and Michael are finally an item, but Grandmere seems to have other plans. Just before the happy couple's first hot date, an unmissable royal engagement turns up. Could it be that Michael doesn't measure up - and that (please not!) Grandmere's got someone else in mind for Princess Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo?
 


My Review
It's been a couple of weeks since Mia and Michael shared their first kiss at the winter dance. Mia is now spending Christmas in Genovia, and missing Michael like mad. Her Grandmother seems determined to keep them apart and keeps Mia busy and introducing them to Princes and other 'respectable men'. Even once Mia is home, her grandma still seems determined to interfere and now Mia must choose between an official first date with Michael or a Royal Ball. 
I still love Mia's feisty wit and sassy attitude, and her grandma is very sneaky - it always has me wondering what she will try next. I am happy Mia and Michael are now together - they make a great couple. 
I love the fact that this book references to and makes some jokes about the movie. It bought the two worlds together and made me think how Mia would think of all the changes they made from book to film. It really made me giggle.
However, Mia has become a little bit whiny in this one - there is quite a bit of the 'what if he doesn't love me love me, maybe he loves me like you love chocolate.' and 'how can I get him to really love me, I don't want to scare him off, I'll have to change x,y,z for him to like me.' I really don't like this sort of thing with female characters. Why do they have to get all whiny and stupid just because they've got a boyfriend. It's like find a boy = lose a brain!
The book was still overall enjoyable, and Lilly is is still Lilly - adding strong beliefs and weird facts into the story.
Another short read, I read it in about 2 hours. Still enjoying the series, just hoping Mia will snap out of the whining.


My Rating
I would give this book 7/10. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that Mia whines a lot. If she thought positive instead it would be different