Saturday 6 August 2011

Book Review - Eleventh Grade Burns

Title: Eleventh Grade Burns
Author: Heather Brewer
Series: Chronicles of Vladimir Tod (book 4)
Publisher: Speak
Release Date: 10 Aug 2010
ISBN-13: 978-0142416471

Synopsis
It’s another awful year at Bathory High for Vladimir Tod. Joss, a professional vampire slayer and Vlad’s former friend, has moved back to town. The powerful vampire Dorian has an overwhelming desire to drink Vlad’s blood. And his archenemy, D’Ablo, has brought Vlad’s Uncle Otis to trial for crimes against vampires. So much for dating.

My Review
I don't know what it is about these books but I am drawn to them. This one came in the library as a new book on Friday and I grabbed it and brought it home. I really enjoyed book 3 so was looking forward to this one.
Vlad is now 16, he has survived deadly battles, heartbreak, exams and broken friendships and things are only going to get more difficult.
Otis is being trialed for crimes against vampires and everyone is convinced it's a death sentence. Vlad is trying to get over his breakup with gorgeous girl Meredith whilst figthing his growing feelings for Snow. Not only that but Joss is returning and is out to finish the job.
Vlad has matured very well and is more willing to step up for his actions in this one - but still true to typical teenager - has his sulking moments and break down moments. You really get a feeling of connection with him. He is adorable and honest, and trying to do what is right.
I love Otis - i think he is my favourite character. Ever mysterious yet loving and supporting. 
We also meet a new character - Dorian a strong vampire with special abilities and a strange thirst for vampire blood. He is scary yet strangely alluring. 
The plot in this one is very good and fast paced, full of action and gives you an insight into the life and backgrounds of this story.
It ends with a real 'OMG!' moment and I can't wait to grab the next one. Sadly it's not available in the library so I will have to try to order it somewhere which will take me longer.
The series gets stronger as it goes on and at the back of this book, the author hints at a series or at least a book told from Joss' side of the story. This would be awesome!

My Rating
I would give this book 9/10 action packed and spine tingling. A must read!  
  

No comments: