Thursday 24 March 2011

Book Review - Dark Flame

Title: Dark Flame
Author: Alyson Noel
Series: Immortals (book 4)
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
ISBN-13: 978-0330520614

Synopsis
Once it seemed being immortal was a gift to Ever Bloom - now it's a curse. And she's a danger to herself.
Ever has been dabbling in Magyck - seeking to explore her own powers, hoping to find a future for her relationship with Damen. But she's not in control - in fact, the magyck has bound her eternally to her immortal enemy, Roman. Whenever he's near, she feels his heartbeat, his breath, his blood racing in her veins. Ever is in deep - and the one person who might be able to help her must never find out what she's done . . . 

My Review
I am still charging through this series and still really enjoying it. I had heard a lot of people saying that the series seems to drift off a bit by book 4, but I didn't find this, I was still hooked in and begging for more.
Ever is determined to get the antidote for Damen from Roman, but she knows it won't be easy. Calling upon magyk to help she thinks it will be easier, but when the spell goes wrong it makes things so much worse. Ever learns that every action has a reaction, and sometimes those reactions will come back to bite you.
Damen isn't in this book as much as it is more Ever's struggle, but when he is I can't help but swoon, he really is the perfect boyfriend, so supportive and loving, no matter what Ever does he is still by her side ready to love her. There was a couple of times when I was almost wishing he would shout or storm at her, but really you've got to admire his strength and commitment.
Roman develops into a more complex character, I never liked him, but I begin to feel sorry for him as you learn more about his past. 
Haven turns into a complete b***h though. she always was a bit paranoid and temperamental, but now she knows she has power, she becomes a monster, determined to be the one in the spotlight for a change, but still convinced everyone is out to hurt her or ruin her life, this makes for a very dangerous character. I really didn't like her and was wishing ever would just kick her butt and tell her to get over herself.
I thought the plot idea was very good and Ever's struggle was heartbreaking, she really breaks down in this book and feels so trapped and lost, Jude is a great friend and I came to like him more (I wasn't sure in the earlier books) I kind of feel a part of their lives now and want to know what happens next, The end of this book is very dramatic and I have to know where it all leads. It's pay day this week so I may have to cave in and spend some of the little money I have, buying 'Night Star' the next book in the series, as the Library still hasn't got it in stock yet and I can't wait!

My Rating
I would give this book 9/10, very exciting and the ending had me shouting out loud. Give me more :D 

2 comments:

Sakura Sandra said...

I am one of the people that felt these books did drift off at this point. This book is one I started and never finished! I actually felt the whole series wasn't ever as good as the first book. I did read the first one in Vegas in cold-water pools at the Bellagio (yes, in the actual pool was where I read it haha), so maybe that's why none of the rest impressed me as much! I sugar-coated my reading experience with an awesome location and strawberry daiquiris haha! Anyway, thanks for the review, maybe I'll pick this up again and try and read it. :)

Sandra @ http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com

barmybex said...

hehe, that might have affected it. I have never read a book in a pool. I'm too busy swimming or diving, plus i'd worry about getting the book wet. lol

I liked book 2 the best i think, but i do tend to be one of those people that once i've started a book and a series I have to finish them. :D

thanks for stopping by, hope you enjoy it if you pick it up again. Have a good weekend. :D