Monday 6 December 2010

Book Review - Ink Exchange

Synopsis
After suffering a terrible trauma at the hands of her brother's dealer friends, Leslie becomes obsessed with the idea of getting a tattoo -- it's the one thing that will allow her to reclaim her body, renew her self-confidence. And when Rabbit, her local tattoo artist, shows her a secret book of his own designs, she finds one of them irresistible. Soon, her back is adorned with a pair of mysterious eyes, framed by black wings. Leslie feels good -- more than good. Nothing bad can touch her. But what she doesn't know is that her new tattoo binds her tightly to the faery whose symbol she chose: Irial, the exquisitely dangerous king of the Dark Court!

My Review 

This is set in the same world as Wicked Lovely and sort of carries on, but is from the point of view of Ash's friend Leslie, Her father is an alcoholic and her brother has got into drugs in a bad way and has used Leslie for his own means. Traumatized and embarrassed Leslie looks for an escape, she gets consumed by the need for a tattoo, but when she gets it done it changes her more than she ever imagined it would, as she gets tangled up with Irial of the Dark Court, she has to work out who are her friends and if Faeries really exist.This book is a lot darker than the first, and let's you know a bit more about the surrounding characters like Seth and Niall, however in places i was bored. I found Irial very moany and pathetic for a supposed ruler of a court. Torn between his Court and Leslie he is often confused and miserable, he just got on my nerves a bit.

I can't imagine some of the things Leslie went through, but she also annoyed me in places, one minute she was ignoring everything then getting angry and upset, then saying she feels too much, then when the Dark shadows take her emotions, she moans she doesn't feel enough. In many ways i kept waiting for Ash and Keenan to burst in and rescue her, but it never happened and i found myself disappointed by them, i expected more!

I know it sounds like i am totally negative about this book, but i actually didn't hate it, in the end i rather enjoyed it. I still love the world Marr has created, the way Faeries blur between our world and theirs. I am still wanting more and looking forward to the next installment.


My Rating

I would give this book 7/10. A good read but not the best. worth a go though!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more! The way it ended dissapointed me, but it was still good.

I highly recommend the series, Marr is an amazing author!

barmybex said...

yeah,i'm in between with them, sometimes grab me and then disappoint me in the same book, i'm still reading the series though, have got radiant shadows to read.